Most cartridge errors are caused by a communication breakdown between the printer and the chip on the cartridge, and there is a simple fix for this.
- First, take all of the cartridges out of the printer (including any that are working, or do not need replacement).
- Put the problem cartridge back in on its own. If you are experiencing difficulty with more than one cartridge and one of them is the black, start with this.
- Turn the printer off and unplug it from the wall for about ten minutes.
- Turn the printer back on and insert the next cartridge - keep any of the cartridges that aren't causing a problem until last.
- Turn the printer off for about thirty seconds. There is no need to unplug it this time.
- If your printer takes more than two cartridges, repeat steps 4 and 5 until they are all installed.
The printer should now be talking to all of the cartridges, so you will be able to start printing.